After we arrived back in Helsinki around 10am, we drove back to Kerava and took a short nap. We were exhausted and we were going to attend a party at 4pm. We were having a birthday party for Anu, who is one of our neighbors. In our neighborhood, everyone is friendly with each other and they have parties quite frequently. It is an atypical Finnish neighborhood because most Finns do not actually talk to their neighbors at all. Anu's birthday party was named Leppisrock 2012 and it was thrown in her backyard. We got our own V.I.P bracelets and were served drinks. I even got to ride Höpö the horse!
On top of that, we also got cotton candy and listened to three bands over the course of the evening. My host dad, Jarkko, is actually the lead singer and saxophonist of the last band that performed that night. All of the members actually live in the neighborhood except for Jarkko's brother. It was really cool to see them perform Finnish songs. I had no idea what they were saying, but the music was great! They are a really good band and I hope one day I'll be able to hear them perform again. I also surprised myself as well by singing karaoke (Sweet Home Alabama) in front of a bunch of Finnish people. Outi-Leena, one of our neighbors and a former exchange student to Texas, convinced me to sing. I told her I would only sing if I could find something country. Well, I did and I made her sing with me! When in Finland, you've got to try everything, right? So, now I have karaoke in Finland checked off my to-do list! I also got to talk with some Finnish girls who live in the neighborhood as well. I am so glad they came up and talked to me! Anyways, I really enjoyed the party. It was absolutely amazing and I am so glad I got to experience a Finnish party.
Outi-Leena and Me
The Neighborhood Band
Dancing the Night Away

No comments:
Post a Comment