Friday, August 31, 2012

My Summer in Finland

Wow, what an amazing summer I had! I can't believe the time passed so quickly, it feels like just yesterday that I met my host family for the first time. It's been about three weeks since I left and as of right now, I'm still feeling a little down because my Finnish family so much! It's hard to leave the people that you had to rely on all summer and formed a great relationship with. But now I do know that a little bit of my heart is more than 3,000 miles away. I also know that I will definitely be studying abroad in Finland in the future. Or maybe even pursuing a job there after I graduate? One thing for sure though is that I will go back to Kerava as soon as I can!

During my summer in Finland, I learned a lot about myself, my own country, and Finland. Being away for 6 weeks from your home country makes you realize many differences between the two countries. For example, I realize that the USA is a lot more commercialized than Finland. Finnish people do not care for celebrities as much as Americans do. I weaned myself off of Diet Coke too- instead, I drank milk and water A LOT! I immersed myself in the Finnish way of life and I have no regrets. The food was amazing, the people were wonderful, and there were so many sights to see! I will not forget any of the memories I've made this summer or any of the people. Furthermore, I also learned that I can be away from my family for quite a long time without getting too sad. I enjoyed every day I spent in Finland so there was no time for moping around!

Thank you Jarkko, Nina, Inka, and Emil for letting me be a part of your family! I didn't know that it would be so easy to fit in with your family. I did just jump in and I became your American daughter and sister. I am so proud to call you my second family and I talk about you guys all the time. You have made a BIG impact on my life! I can't wait to see you guys soon- I'll be back before you know it!

Also, a big thanks to my biological family! Kiitos Mom and Dad! Sending me to Finland was the best decision you've made for me! I am still the same Maura, but now I know what direction I want to go in life.

And, thank you to all the readers! I hope you enjoyed my blog and learned a little bit about Finland and realize how great a country it is. I encourage you to visit if you have the chance! Moi Moi for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment