Saturday, August 4, 2012

Day Trip to Tallinn, Estonia

Hei everyone! About a week ago, I went to Tallinn, Estonia with my host family and it was an incredible day. We woke up early around 8am and left the house around 10am. We arrived in Helsinki around 10:30am and headed off to the Viking Express Cruise. As soon as we got on the ship, we immediately headed to the deck and grabbed a spot at a nearby bench so we could enjoy the view.

Family Portrait!

Almost in Estonia

The cruise was about two hours and while we were on the ship, we ate some lunch. Where we went to eat, they actually weigh how much food you have on your plate and then give you a set price. Weird! We also went to the Tax Free store and looked around for what we were going to buy later on that day. Soon, we were getting close to our arrival in Estonia and waiting to get off the ship. We quickly walked to the bus station where we waited for 15 minutes. We were going to get off near the shopping centers.

In the Bus

We headed over to a huge shopping mall and looked around, but found nothing. Then we went to the Stockmann where everything was on sale. I managed to find a scarf for 3 Euros and shorts for 9 Euros. Shortly after our purchases, we went to the grocery store downstairs and got soda and ice cream. When we were looking around, I immediately spotted Tomato Cheetos and Forest Mushroom Lays Chips. I don't know who comes up with these flavors, but they are weird. On the other hand, we enjoyed our ice cream thoroughly and started walking towards Old Town Tallinn. It really is magnificent! I wish we would've had more time to walk around because there is so much to see. All of the old buildings are preserved so well and everything is beautful there. The Old Town is quite exceptional and I hope that one day I will be able to go back. While walking around, we posed for pictures and shopped for some souvenirs. I found a snowglobe and some magnets which was a great find for me because there were not many souvenir shops there.



By Flower Shops

Souvenir Shopping







Finnish and Estonian Flags

Also, before heading back, we went through a big shopping center where t-shirts and select souvenirs were being sold. I found a little souvenir place and purchased key chains, magnets, and a Russian doll for myself. But soon it was time to leave, and we were heading back to our ship in no time.

Heading Back


On the way back, we went to the Tax Free store, where (surprise, surprise!) I bought another big box of Kinder and some flavored licorice. We enjoyed our candy out on the sun deck again and then went to the Disco Club. A live band was playing there and I enjoyed listening to the Finnish music. We also had some drinks as well (Coca-Cola Light, for me of course). Most importantly though, it was fun to watch all of the drunk older people dancing the afternoon away. The atmosphere was great! And before we left, I went to the restroom one last time and as I was washing my hands, a man walked in. He looks at me, walks to another sink, spits in it, and waits for the other lady to come out of the stall. As the lady walks out, we both give each other knowing looks. I walk out of the bathroom and I can't help, but laugh! He was so drunk he didn't recognize that he was in the WRONG restroom! Totally funny moment.

Enjoying Coca-Cola Light

The Band


I had a wonderful day in Tallinn, Estonia and I can't wait to go back one day! Here's hoping I'll be back soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment